Tuesday, January 03, 2006

IT Security Certifications

During the last 2 weeks I have been doing some research into the available IT Security Certifications, to summarize - the prominent ones seem to be:

CISSP (from http://www.isc2.org/) - The CISSP seems to be most renowned and sought-after security certification available today.
SSCP (from http://www.isc2.org/) - Can be seen as an intermediate certification for professionals not meeting the full requirements for CISSP yet.
Security+ (from http://www.comptia.org/) - Security+ is seen in general as a very good entry-level course. It can serve as a good stepping stone on the road towards CISSP.
GIAC (from http://www.giac.org/) - Certifications from the SANS institute. Focuses more on hands-on technical experience, as opposed to a more theoretical approach taken by isc2.org.

I personally will start with the Security+ certification from CompTIA. Although one can jump into the "deep end" and pursue some of the more advanced certifications I like the idea of establishing the basic concepts and then re-enforcing them step-by-step, certification-by-certification. Some people will want to approach this differently - pursuing the certification more than the skills associated with it. I personally want to firmly embed the basics as I build a full set of skills.

Along the road, and coming soon to this blog, I am going to investigate a whole plethora of technical skills related to IT security. Expect to see some Assembler code as I investigate software vulnerabilities and develop the skills to write the exploits myself. I'll report on the tools I discover and my impressions on them as well as some short tutorials or step-by-step guides.

2 comments:

Ale Rossi said...


I always love to do research in the field of Education and Career Counselling. While searching online, I found that you have shared a valuable post that can help people for a better understanding of their needs.
Business Diploma

Brian Garcia said...

Thanks for sharing your opinion which relate to education. We should always keep thinking of better education as it shapes our future. Kindly take a look on International Scholarships.